Please go through the following list before updating your James Tyler Variax guitar to flash memory v1.81 to ensure the update completes successfully:
- Ensure that the interface you are using to update the JTV guitar with (Workbench Interface, PODxt Live/Pro, POD X3 Live/Pro, POD HD500/HD Pro, Vetta II) is NOT connected to the computer through a USB hub.
- Make sure to connect the interface into a USB port directly into the computer, especially into the back of a desktop.
- If problems persist, make sure to test all of the USB ports on the computer.
- Avoid plugging into USB ports found on keyboards, monitors, or laptop docks.
- When using the Workbench Interface to update or edit the JTV guitar, ensure that a charged battery is in the guitar and a 1/4" TS mono cable is inserted into the guitar's output jack to power on the guitar.
- Ensure that the Volume knob on the guitar is NOT set to the '0' position as it will put the guitar into Power Save Mode. Make sure that the Volume knob is set higher than 0 when updating or editing the JTV guitar.
- Please use the VDI Cable that comes with the JTV guitar when updating the flash memory. Avoid using VDI or CAT5 cables longer than 10 ft. in length when updating the James Tyler Variax.
- During the update, select 'NO' when asked if you would like to keep the presets on the guitar. Use the Workbench software to back up your guitar presets before updating if you would like to keep them.
- Close out any other applications running on your computer before updating the JTV guitar.
Please use the following link for the flash memory update instructions:
Variax Reflash and Software Update Instructions