These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Strange noise when opening any audio application on macosx
by flonou on 2009-04-10 11:19:54

Hello,

I have received new speakers today (adam A7, connected on output 1/2) and wanted to watch a movie using my ux8 as audio output and I noticed a noise (with some kind of periodicity pattern) that is really annoying. I tried several things and discovered that this noise appear when I try to use the UX8 in any audio application.

If no application is on and the ux8 connected and on, nothing strange

If I open any application (podfarm/vlc/itunes/sound preferences) then the sound comes.

this sound really disturb me.

Re: Strange noise when opening any audio application on macosx
by flonou on 2009-04-11 04:33:46

Ow! I just tried to plug in my screen on my macbook and the noise appeared again (Logic was running). Seems that the noise is due to the external screen ... Now the question is: Is it from the screen, the UX8 or the macbook itself ?

Re: Strange noise when opening any audio application on macosx
by coleyew on 2009-04-28 09:52:50

i encountered the same problem with my winxp desktop.

again, it only appears when u run/playback an audio file.

when i run my winamp (before i click play), still ok but when i started to playback a track, the noise will appear.

it sounded 'tweeee' repetitively and the noise will be even recorded to ur tracks!

i regretted i din send my ux8 back for warranty due to my installations to my studio and its kinda troublesome for me to do so.. i purchased it in Malaysia..

Re: UX8: High pitch noise whenever opening any audio applications on MAC OSX
by Factory003 on 2009-05-02 14:09:28

Every time either when I run Logic, iTunes, or just any type of audio through the web, I get this slight high pitch frequency with some kind of periodicity pattern.

It's extremely unavoidable & impossible to deal with. At first, I thought it was a defective unit & sent back for a new one, but still getting this unbearable slight high pitch frequency

with the second unit. If I had to describe the sound, it would be a consistent high pitch pattern, something of a disc spinning. Very digital sounding. I removed all peripherals from my rig, including

external drives, printers & scanners & only had the UX8 plugged in, & still had the same problem. I bought a new USB gold plated cable & plugged into all USB ports, but still same result.

I've gone through the monkey preferences & experimented with different settings

but nothing seems to work. I'm running the UX8 TONEPORT on a 2 x 3 GHZ Quad-Core Intel G5 [OS X V.10.5.6], with 10GB ram.

I've also tried all troubleshooting listed on this sight. It seems like other people have had this issue but nothing ever is answered.

by flonou on 2009-05-02 14:14:45

I know what you're talking about, I can hear the same sound on my mac.

by Factory003 on 2009-05-02 14:24:03

Has anyone from Line 6 helped you with this issue?

by flonou on 2009-05-02 14:31:19

Nop, There are still some sound problems on that UX8 but I think that the mac is in cause on some cases (as I point it on my 2nd post)

by sicochoco on 2011-03-03 00:53:48

I have the same issue, I'm in MAC OS 10.6.6, on the latest 64-bit kernel driver..

So I  made a lot of tests,  and my results are:

It has nothing to do with electrical things or fans or monitors or amps.

This is only on the Main output, not on inputs and it is not recorded at all so that tells.

This  hiss is only present on the main outputs and not in the headphones of  main outputs,  I noticed that its volume is constant and completely  independent from the main volume knob, and it only happens in channels 1  and 2, main outputs, as a matter of fact, the hiss keeps sounding when you start any app that uses the UX8 on  "main outputs" channels 1 and 2 even when the sound output on your app is on 3 and  4...strange.........so for now I'll avoid main outputs for everything,  its not the best solution since the main output knob and mute button on  the front become useless, though I can use the main output headphones  for cue monitoring on ableton live......good thing that from the UX8 I  connect to a mixer which then go to the speakers, that way I can control  the UX8 Ch 3-4 volume output on the mixer, so for now maybe the  solution is to use the other 6 outputs.

This result tell my logic that it is soft code related, if not it would be present in all outputs or at least all the time and not only when the driver is used by apps.

Don't  know if this is also present on the 32 bit version, didn't even tried  that, I saw no point in downgrading to 32-bit, so my UX8 was unused for 2  months until this latest driver.

Are the symptoms the same on your side?

I hope this tests info helps to get this fixed on the next driver update. ASAP. please L6.

S.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.