These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Guitar working fine but no sound from my mic (UX1/Garageband)
by Gizah on 2012-02-27 16:15:12

I´m using Garageband and I selected ux1 driver as my desired input device, and it´s working fine. But when I connect my microphone (not a condeser one), I doesn´t get any signal from it. I don´t see an specific select option for microphone with UX1. I don´t want to install PodFarm (which is the answer suggested in other posts) ´cause I don´t like it and for all the bad experiences with drivers and line6 software to make my UX1 work. The second step would be recording my guitar and voice at the same time. Thanks in advance.

Re: Guitar working fine but no sound from my mic (UX1/Garageband)
by silverhead on 2012-02-27 16:19:43

I'm not familiar with Garageband, but with any recording software I have used you select the device input within the program (Garageband). When you arm a track for recording you also select the input source from among the options that the audio device provides. In this case, using the UX1 as the Garageband audio device, what input options do you see in Garageband that you can select? 

Also, make sure you are using a dynamic mic; the UX1 does not provide phantom power.

by Gizah on 2012-02-27 16:39:02

I was editing to add that it´s not a condeser microphone while you were answering (thanks for answering so fast). My Garageband is the spanish version, so I do´t know the exact terms. I go to perferences, then to audio/mid, and there I find the input option with these possibilities: System adjustment (I guess), UX1, built in microphone and built in input. So I´ve selected UX1 which works for tthe guitar.

by silverhead on 2012-02-27 18:06:57

OK - so Garageband is set to use the UX1.

Now, when you set up a track for recording, and you 'arm'  it (i.e. you can monitor the incoming sound) you will see a selection area (drop-down menu, or something like that) which allows you to assign an input for the track to record. What are your UX1 input options that you see in Garageband for the track you want to record?

by Gizah on 2012-02-27 18:43:19

Yeap, right there are more options there for input (I´m a garageband/mac newbie he). They are: Mono1 (UX1) to Mono4, and then Stereo 1/2 (UX1) and Stereo 3/4 (UX1).

by silverhead on 2012-02-27 19:36:20

And the Mic Gain knob on top of your UX1 is set to a reasonable level? Do you detect the microphone signal now in Garageband with any of the Input selections?

If not, can you independently test your microphone to ensure that it is working properly?

by Gizah on 2012-02-27 21:47:48

Yeap, the knob is set right. I had tried all the input options... no signal. The mic was working fine last time I played. I can´t check it at the moment, because from that gig I returned just with the cannon to cannon cable... it happens. Anyway, I´m waiting to borrow another microphone, or get another cable to check, as soon as I can. Thanks again.

by Triryche on 2012-02-28 05:20:15

If you are using POD Farm, make sure to select mic from the drop down for input.

If your are not using POD Farm, select mic form the Line6 Audio-MIDI devices control panel.

2 of the 4 sends are dry and the other 2 are wet (I forget which is which off hand, I think 1 and 2 are dry), but you still need to select Instrument or Mic for input.

by BigChas52 on 2012-02-28 06:04:59

Not sure about Mac, but in Windows (should be similar), make sure you are using the ASIO driver.  Go into the ASIO configuration panel and change the Input Source to "Mic"

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 09:50:26

Hello Triryche. I´m not using pod farm. I´ve already selected The mic y Audio-Midi devices control panel. An then select the same channel in garageband. And also tried another settings, in case it would work. But still no signal from my mic.

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 09:56:19

Hello BigCash. I don´t understand deeply about the audio protocols, but I understand that from Mac it is Corel Audio, and it´s supported by UX1, and I guess that is set when you download the mac drivers for the unit. And also, I think that if the guitar is working fine, and I have signal from it when I select "instrument", it has nothing to do with the drivers.

by BigChas52 on 2012-02-28 10:15:14

Ahh.  That may explain it.  I believe the core ausio drivers will not give you the option to switch to the other inputs.  You don't have to install POD Farm, but you should at least install the latest Line6 drivers if you want to use the XLR input or Line-Ins on your UX1.  I do not believe there is any other way around it.

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 10:47:18

I have latest line6 drivers installed (7.1.0)

by BigChas52 on 2012-02-28 11:04:15

What happens if you hit the "Inputs and Recording" button from that screen?

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 11:10:00

There is where I select the mic for input.

by BigChas52 on 2012-02-28 11:17:11

I know Core Audio is supposedly the same, but do you have an option for using ASIO audio?

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 11:28:36

Do you mean as a selection somewhere? No I haven´t seen that... nor on line6 system peferences, Mac´s Audio configuration, neither on Garageband settings.

by BigChas52 on 2012-02-28 11:42:59

When all else fails, install POD Farm 1.12.

The install is not nearly as tricky as with POD Farm 2.51 and it should solve your problem.

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 12:56:21

Thanxs for the suggestions. For latest experiences I don´t want line6 software messing with my system again (if it doesn´t work I don´t want to spend more hours searching manually for all the traces of line6 software installed on diverse unknown locations of my system).  And I´m expecting to make it work as I would expect from the features shown at the product´s page (made for you to agree that is the best option for you to buy... at least a big mistake).

Can I use my POD Studio UX1 hardware without POD Farm 2.5?

Yes, you can use your UX1 without POD Farm 2.5

Can I connect other instruments or devices to POD Studio UX1?

Yes. POD Studio UX1 features one 1/4-inch instrument-level input for guitar and bass, a balanced XLR mic input with a high-quality preamp and trim knob and two 1/4-inch inputs for keyboards or other line-level gear. "

I´m also expecting assistance from Line6 Technical support staff:

"If you have serious technical support issues that other community members have not been able to help you resolve, the Line 6 reps are here to sweep in and take over."

Anyway, BigChas, thanks for your time and help.

by BigChas52 on 2012-02-28 13:29:21

You're certainly welcome.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

I still suggest installing POD Farm 1.12.  I think you'll find that it doesn't have the installation problems that some people see with POD Farm 2.51 on Mac.  Additionally, PF 1.12 stand-alone is free.  Please give it a try.

by Gizah on 2012-02-28 19:45:19

I tested my microphone and it´s working perfect on my amp. I have a new working perfect microphone and ther´s no signal either.

by Line6Don on 2012-03-09 15:34:40

The above menu that you took a screen shot is where you configure which input source of the UX1 that you will be using. After making your selection, the driver will indicate to you what the REC sends will provide within the DAW.

To use a MIC 1 input select MIC 1 from the input & recording tab of the Line 6 Audio MIDI device menu. This will enable you to use REC sends 1, 2, 3, 4, 1-2, or 3-4 to input the audio from the MIC 1 input.

From there, ensure that the mic is dynamic mic and that it is fully connected with the mic gain turned up. Once you create an audio track, assign it to the REC send you would like to use and than REC enable the track to hear the input of it.

RE: Guitar working fine but no sound from my mic (UX1/Garageband)
by laplayantonio on 2012-03-23 05:38:45

Hello. We haven’t heard back from you, so we're going to assume your question has been answered. If it has been answered, please consider awarding points to whoever was helpful and/or answered the question so they get the formal recognition.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, we have generated a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Should you need further assistance, please respond to the ticket. With us talking via the ticket, I will mark this thread answered.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Please note: Sometimes support ticket notifications will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all. You may also consider adding Line 6 to your safe senders list.

by leocinquini on 2013-04-13 13:41:45

hi, i am having the same issue, and i also dont want to install any pod farms or gearboxes...the guitar is working fine... and i am using ableton live 8. anyway, when you say make a selection on the audio midi device place, when i select any of them, it DOESNT indicate me what rec sends or anytnhing. also i can state that on ableton, the guitar is using both of the inputs signals.and yes i have tried using just instrument signals, mic alone etc but nothing gives me the signal. using a shure sm58.

so again: line 6 audio midi device - inputs and recording - inst & mic 1 - then i cannot use any rec sends, nothing happens, there is no such option. so how can i create an audio track?whats missing here?

thanks you,this is really doing my head for hours now.

using windows vista, driver ASIO...all drivers updated tonight.

also tried with pod, pod 2, gearbox...nada.

by Triryche on 2013-04-15 08:29:09

You might want ot start a new thread. Since this is old and answered not many will see it.

Do you have all your Window's updates, especially concerning C++  ?

by leocinquini on 2013-04-19 04:16:23

yes,windows is updated and i did update de c++...double checked

by Triryche on 2013-04-19 05:01:36

I would start a new thread so more users see it.

Also, you can open a ticket.

You can contact Line6 directly via a support ticket or phone:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

Line 6 - North America

Line 6, Inc.
26580  Agoura Road
Calabasas, CA 91302-1921

Main Phone#: (818) 575-3600
Main Fax#: (818) 575-3601

Customer Service hours are 8am - 5pm M-F Pacific Time
Press option 3 for Customer Service
Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

Line 6 - Europe

Line 6, Inc.
The POD
Clifton House
Butler's Leap
Rugby, Warwickshire
United Kingdom, CV21 3RQ

Telefone: +44 (0) 1788 566 566
Fax: +44 (0) 1788 566 529

Technical Support: +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.