These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV 1.9 out
by TheRealZap on 2012-11-07 16:06:21

NOTE: Line 6 Monkey 1.62 is required in order to install this firmware update.

The v1.9 firmware update for James Tyler(r) Variax(r) features enhanced palm muting for a more natural response to muted guitar parts and aggressive playing styles. It also provides faster updates with additional error checking.

For JTV-89 Customers Only: In addition to the 28 electric, acoustic and eclectic instruments, you also get five high-gain models exclusive to JTV-89 loaded into custom bank 1. Each model is based on a different pickup position, and delivers high-gain guitar tone while allowing you to access drop tunings, custom Dream Rig configurations and more.

The five high-gain models come with a couple caveats: 1. For the time being, they are not editable in Workbench, nor will you be able to mix and match the body or pickup models. 2. For the time being, the High Gain Model is hard-wired into the Custom 1 bank. You will not be able to overwrite the Custom 1 bank from the guitar or from Workbench.

NOTE: (when updating from 1.71): If you've loaded your guitar with custom models and would like to retain your current custom banks and/or custom models, please sync with Variax Workbench and save your custom model set. You will be able to re-load your models from Workbench after you've completed the update.

Re: JTV 1.9 out
by Rewolf48 on 2012-11-08 04:57:01

I have a 69, but I quite like the sound of the new high-gain models.

Lets hope that when the Workbench update is complete that it will be possible to add these models to the other JTV guitars

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 05:05:14

Yeah, I think that hardcoding them was the only way to release them before workbench is updated, even if they released them for the other models as a "pack" along with the former acoustic models... I think a few people would throw a few bucks at these.

by flynvgtr1 on 2012-11-08 05:08:21

Rewolf48 wrote:

I have a 69, but I quite like the sound of the new high-gain models.

Lets hope that when the Workbench update is complete that it will be possible to add these models to the other JTV guitars

How did you hear them if you have a 69?

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 05:09:29

I think he meant he likes the "idea" of them

by flynvgtr1 on 2012-11-08 05:50:37

Gotcha! Loving my 59 now so anything on top of that for updates is even better!

by markcockerill on 2012-11-08 08:54:37

Just great to have continued updates, wonder what's coming for us 69 users?

by killergege on 2012-11-08 09:31:10

This is a really good news !

Can we know what are the guitars modeled ? Is it custom or based on existing ones ?

I find this release quite strange, this is really different from what we're used to. But it's nice.

by sparkyERTW on 2012-11-08 11:16:06

Well, if the shredder-inspired guitar gets high-gain models, then the Fender-inspired guitar should probably get...

Jazzmaster?!

Jaguar?!

Fender Electric XII?!

Wide Range Humbuckers to use on the Thinline body?!

It'll probably be none of these, but a man can dream...

by bigglesdog on 2012-11-08 11:16:13

I assume they stuck with the 1.82 Acoustic models rather than the 1.7 ones?. I hate the idea that I won't be able to get any more updates for my '69 as long as I need the older, less "enhanced" sounds

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 12:23:11

bigglesdog wrote:

I assume that I won't be able to get any more updates for my '69 as long as I need the older, less "enhanced" sounds

safe assumption.

by mekonrider on 2012-11-08 13:30:22

I've just updated monkey to 1.62 and it's still showing 1.82 as being the most recently available update.

Has anyone actually performed this update yet?

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 13:33:10

I haven't yet updated...

but you can download and flash from this file: http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=5418

if">http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=5418">http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=5418

ifmonkey does not yet see the update...

keep in mind, you also have to have a specific version of monkey for the update....

by markcockerill on 2012-11-08 13:40:07

I've done the update on my 69 without a hitch. Updated Monkey first, hooked up the variax via VDI to HD500.

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 13:42:16

so what's your first impression? noticeable?

by markcockerill on 2012-11-08 13:48:37

I went through every guitar model and appears to be no change. However, I must stress that I use primarily the Strat and Les Paul models and there appears to be no change but I could be wrong, some may have better ears than I. The fact that I am playing direct into my DT50 head which now thinks it is a Soldano could be further clouding my judgement. Nothing has changed on the custom banks even though I selected the option to not to keep any models. I run with the stock models and always have done.

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 13:52:00

shouldn't be any difference in the models, other than when palm muting.

by markcockerill on 2012-11-08 14:24:18

I do believe that is the case, which is more or less what this upgrade is all about. Less flabby if you know what I mean. There is little difference palm muting this guitar to any of my others but I didn't really have a big problem with it before as I don't really play the type of material where it becomes noticable as a concern as such. I'm sure many other users will notice more of a difference.

by barryf70 on 2012-11-08 15:34:48

I too have updated monkey and it will not recognize update,restarted windows 2 times,still no luck also went to link on THE REAL ZAP post and it did download I click to open and still monkey wont see 1.9 .....any help here guys would be greatly appreciated!!

by silverhead on 2012-11-08 15:41:08

How is your JTV connected to your computer?

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-08 18:53:01

make sure that the variax is turned on as well.

by player99 on 2012-11-08 19:31:44

Did you notice if the difference in volume has been fixed? I don't like the way the models are much louder than the mag pickups.

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-09 04:04:15

monkey wont see 1.9 after downloading...

you select the flash memory in monkey, hit the "from file" button and select the file you downloaded.

then monkey will flash to that version.

by davidb7170 on 2012-11-09 08:41:55

+1 -- I've seen the same volume issue on both my 59 and now on my new 69S, but more noticeable as the the single coils have less output than the HB's of my 59. When It came, the 69S had firmware 1.71, and the strat models vs the 69S mags were on about the same level. With firmware 1.82, the volume difference was either the models got a lot louder or the mag A/D level was reduced significantly for the VDI cable -- I have not checked the analog out levels -- I should....

I compare volume levels of my 59's mags to the LP or Special for level comparisons, and on the 69S, I compare the single coil mags to the strat models to keep it on an "apples to apples" basis...

I plan to do the updates to both my 59 & 69S this weekend.

Hey Zap -- how does the update know what model you have (89 versus the 59 or 69)? The JTV has no ESN, and neither my Monkey software (just prior to this most recent version), nor my HD500 seems to be aware of the model of my 59 or 69 when connected with the VDI... So how does the update software know whether to install the new high gain models in the custom 1 slot or not?

Curious...

Dave

by Lurotex on 2012-11-09 12:04:33

i've just update and as first impression i think that the neck pick up of the strato and the tele  (spank and t-model) are very very similar but i noticed this on the other

version of firmware too...i think they are too much similar....don't you?

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-09 13:03:33

davidb7170 wrote:

Hey Zap -- how does the update know what model you have (89 versus the 59 or 69)? The JTV has no ESN, and neither my Monkey software (just prior to this most recent version), nor my HD500 seems to be aware of the model of my 59 or 69 when connected with the VDI... So how does the update software know whether to install the new high gain models in the custom 1 slot or not?

Curious...

Dave

I don't know for sure, but i suspect that there is an internal code that gets verified...

but i had the same "crossflash" idea as you... to try the new models, and the different alt-tunings...

never did try... but it occurred to me.

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-09 13:04:56

I hadn't noticed, but i tend to use other guitar models in place of the strat neck.

you could probably open those models in workbench and have a peek at the differences if they are that obvious.

by spindizzy on 2012-11-12 22:16:23

Sparky I love your idea - those on a custom bank would be perfect. That and Australian distributor not trying to get rich from a single sale ;-)

by phil_m on 2012-11-13 09:24:09

Jazzmaster and Jaguar (throw a Mustang in there too) models would be great. There are a lot of vintage guitars that they could do that would be welcome additions.

by sparkyERTW on 2012-11-14 08:46:51

I filled out their customer feedback form with essentially what I wrote above, adding the fact that WRHBs would support the creation of Tele Customs, Tele Deluxes, '72 Thinlines, and even the Starcaster (which could probably even just use the ES-335 body model). So who knows, maybe it'll happen.

by barryf70 on 2012-11-15 06:31:01

Thank you!! That did it, it was the first time I had a firmware that monkey didn't just walk me through,that and I'm a bit of a noob, so wasnt aware you could browse for file downloads but all good now ...thanks again!!

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-15 06:35:52

monkey really should have taken care of you automatically, but knowing how to do this is great if you ever need to go to a lower version for some reason.

by mcralph on 2012-11-15 07:05:39

So, we have to wait til the Workbench gets updated to upload our prestes from Custom 1 again?

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-15 07:10:53

no.... you can instead wait to update to 1.9 until workbench catches up...

you can save your custom 1 bank to custom 2...

assuming you have an 89, i'm not sure i would update if its that important to you to have your custom 1 right now...

although many other 59/69 users would love to get a hold of that factory custom 1 bank...

by LarryLion on 2012-11-15 07:12:33

My 2 cents worth:

I installed v1.9 of the JTV firmware last night. My initial reaction is that palm muting is a little better, especially noticeable on high-gain left or right hand damping techniques (electric models), not so noticeably different on acoustics. IMO, for both guitar families, the damping is acceptable, but far from perfect - yet.

However, and this might just be my imagination, but I think the acoustic models sound a little better than before, more body sound coming through?  I replaced everything in the update, of course, so some of my forgotten tweaking was replaced, which might account for the better acoustics.  I wanted to establish a 6th fret virtual capo, using the on-guitar method, which I use for one song, and struggled like hell for 30-40 minutes to get it right. Never had that much trouble previously.

Larry

by mcralph on 2012-11-15 07:31:03

I just rolled back to the previous versin. I didn't think of that. Might give that a try then.

by ryancola on 2012-11-15 19:26:43

Just installed the update on my JTV-89. LOVE the new high-gain models, and palm-muting is indeed improved across the board. I'm fairly certain the new Custom-1 bank contains models of the JTV-89's magnetic pickups in all positions (clues came from the way they're named in Workbench, plus they sound nearly identical if you switch modeling on and off while playing). Palm-muting is not perfect, but a huge improvement and definitely usable. I can finally utilize all those low tunings for heavy stuff! Until now I had been forced to use the mags for pretty much anything that required heavy muting, but it's good enough now that I can use the modeling all the time.

by andreyantonenko on 2012-11-16 14:44:26

I've performed same upgrade recently and completely agree.

1. Finally shredder axe JTV-89 got modern pickup emulation in additon to great vintage classics. Line6 guys did really great job!

2. Palm mute is better, but not as good as on original magnetic pickup.

So Variax ones again proved its versatility, keep making guitarists happy

by nkrcompany on 2012-11-17 00:12:14

I would like to share my experiences about the 1.9 firmware. I've got a JTV-69, so I was a bit sad when I saw that the 5 new model is only for the JTV-89. I hope Line6 will make this available for us too.

I made some records before and after the update. I was very curious about the developed palm muting, as I regurlarly use it.

Unfortunatelly I didn't notice differences, maybe very little. The magnetic pickups are still better in this situation. The virtual ones don't give the short, dynamic pluck. I think this is partly caused by the tone of the virtual ones. In my JTV-69 my magnetic pickups sounds much brighter and there is not as much low-mid tones as the virtual ones (anyone noticed that?). When I palm mute the strings it still give some boom, instead of the mentioned short, dynamic transient (pluck).

by afkasm on 2012-11-17 05:15:05

Hang on a sec , WHY are the high gain models only available for the 89 ? , why are 59 and 69 players not been offered the same options ? why are we being discriminated against ?

We have all forked out our hard earned pennies on the product and just because we prefer a more "retro" design doesn't mean that we don't want an option of a higher gain model of guitar or the option to put a high gain pickup in the preset models within workbench .(a suggestion i put to line 6 months ago)

Its not exactly unheard of for LP or Strat players to stick EMGs or Dimarzio / SD / or whatever in their guitars to get the sound they want while they retain the looks of a classic instrument , otherwise Slash, Zack , Malmsteen etc would all be hanging Ibanez or Charvels round their necks

The JTV is supposed to be the one stop guitar , with only the body/neck design seperating the benefits available to the player .Get it sorted Line6

by Thumpingrug on 2012-11-17 07:08:35

Have to agree.  Why do i as a 69 owner not get access to these new models.

I prefer a strat shape and the trem, but woudl still like to experiment with the high gain options.

Come on Line6 this goes against the idea of the variax and just doesnt make sense.

by jayson2 on 2012-11-17 10:34:42

If I understand this correctly, the new 5 models in the JTV-89 are based on it's own mag pickups?  If so, I guess that the 59 and 69 owners will get something similar in the future?  If so, I don't mind waiting for v2.0.

Cheers,

jayson

by Geeman on 2012-11-18 21:27:57

nkrcompany wrote:

I would like to share my experiences about the 1.9 firmware. ...my magnetic pickups sounds much brighter and there is not as much low-mid tones as the virtual ones (anyone noticed that?). When I palm mute the strings it still give some boom, instead of the mentioned short, dynamic transient (pluck).

Good post!  I've noticed the same exact thing.  The JTV is definitely an improvement over previous Variaxes but, I've often wondered if the low-mids were a bit too much.  Maybe I should mess with workbench to correct this?

by kurtiscollette on 2012-11-18 22:26:37

I love how the "read more" link for the new patch doesn't work and under the actual 89's description for the new models you get this;

Five High-Gain Models

計28種類のエレクトリック、アコースティック、エクレティック楽器に加えて、JTV-89専用のハイゲン・モデルも5種類用意されています。各モデルはピックアップ・ポジションの違いをベースとしており、ハイゲイン・ギター・トーンを使ってドロップ・チューニングやカスタムDream Rigコンフィギュレーションなどにアクセス可能です。

こうしたモデルとカスタム・チューニングを組み合わせることで、JTV-89をメタルやジャズ、クラシカル・ミュージックに適した広音域の楽器とすることが可能。低音弦3本のチューニングを下げ、高音弦3本を上げることで8弦ギターや10弦ギターの音域をシミュレートできます。

Close 

以下をベースとするハイゲイン・モデル:

• リア・ピックアップ
  • コイルタップによるリア・ポジションのシングルコイル・サウンド
  • フロント・ピックアップ
  • コイルタップによるフロント・ポジションのシングルコイル・サウンド
  • フロント+リア・ピックアップ

1.9アップデートをダウンロード

unfortunately I can only read english... lol

by player99 on 2012-11-19 16:09:11

I can't either but Google Translate does:

In addition a total of 28 types of electric, acoustic, instruments supremo tick, you have five dedicated model also Haigen JTV-89. Each model is based on the difference of the pick-up position, you can access the configuration and custom Dream Rig tuning and drop using the high-gain guitar tone.

The combination of these models and custom tuning, that it is suitable for a wide range of instruments and metal and jazz, to classical music the JTV-89 is possible. You can simulate a range of 8-string guitars and 10-string guitar by lowering the tuning of the three string bass, raise the three treble strings.

Close

High-gain model, which is based on the following:

Rear pickup
     Single coil sound on the rear position of the coil tap
     Front pickup
     Single-coil sound of the front position of the coil tap
     Front + rear pickup

Download the 1.9 update

by Lurotex on 2012-11-24 05:30:46

well....i think they should make some modifications in latency cause with acoustic models and alternative tunings i feel a little of latency in particoular

on the bass strings....

and i'm very disappointed with the new models only for jtv89's users.

by phil_m on 2012-11-24 06:29:02

One thing about the new models for the JTV-89... They aren't really a completely new model. They're models of the JTV-89 itself. So the JTV-89 contains a digital model of its own magnetic pickups.

by Ekoldr on 2013-02-10 10:22:02

The difference in output from mag more to Variax more is dependent upon the pick up hight. If it's not loud enough try raising the pickups and if it's too loud lower them.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.